Senior DataOps Engineer - INSHUR (UK)
Are you keen to work somewhere that’s stimulating and friendly, with loads of opportunities for growth and plenty of freedom to make a real impact? This could be the place for you!
We are looking for a Senior Dataops Engineer to join us at INSHUR; we are based in sunny Brighton (sea, chips and seagulls included) and we split our working between home and the odd trip to the office which typically includes working from our Brighton office twice a month.
You’ll be working on re-inventing insurance in exciting markets across multiple territories including the UK, US and the Netherlands, and new European countries as we expand.
Supported by (and reporting to) the Principal Engineer, you'll be joining an ever expanding team of friendly and talented engineers who are empowered to design and implement solutions that help us deliver quality products, improve operations and increase performance and efficiency. We love to hear from people who can challenge the status quo, suggest new and novel ways of tackling issues and push technology forward.
We value high performance and care deeply about making INSHUR feel like a place where everyone is building something really special, that we can all be proud of, and doing it with friends.
What you'll do
As a Senior DataOps Engineer you will provide a valuable contribution to the Technology department and ensure the effective ongoing support for the underlying INSHUR platform. The Infrastructure team is responsible for the overarching framework which underpins our software development teams, with our collective goal being to deliver high quality INSHUR products to our customers.
We don’t have a definite checklist of skills - our hiring process is much more about aptitude and passion than ticking boxes. So don’t worry if you’ve not used a particular tool or checked off all the listed skills and experience.
That said, below is a guideline of skills that we think would make you successful in this role.
We'd love to hear from you if you:
- Subscribe to Infrastructure as Code principles and have experience with Terraform.
- Can write Python and enjoy building bespoke tooling.
- Are proficient with cloud platforms (AWS, Azure, or GCP) and service-oriented/microservice architecture.
- Are experienced with logging, metrics, monitoring systems, and understand the importance of application insight and performance visibility.
- Understand the balance between security and usability, with a focus on data security best practices.
- Have experience with data engineering and warehousing technologies (BigQuery, Snowflake).
- Are skilled in data pipeline development and ETL processes.
- Have a strong understanding of SQL, NoSQL databases, and data modelling principles.
- Are knowledgeable in data governance, including privacy and regulatory compliance (GDPR, CCPA, HIPAA).
- Can analyse and monitor data quality, lineage, and governance, with experience in data testing frameworks.
- Have familiarity with data management platforms, cataloguing, visualisation, and reporting tools.
- Possess strong analytical and problem-solving skills, especially with large and complex data sets.
- Are committed to continuous learning in data management trends and best practices.
- Have experience in a data-driven environment and can work effectively with cross-functional teams.
- Understand that DataOps is a cross-team ethos, not just a role.
- Are passionate about technology and committed to solving complex problems.
Your colleagues say you:
- Pragmatic and known to be able to prioritise tasks well.
- A collaborative team player.
- Always supportive and helpful.
Things we’ve been working on recently (and you’ll likely be working on too):
- Large-scale data storage optimization.
- CI/CD for data-intensive applications.
- Cloud data security and compliance.
- Data pipeline and ETL maintenance.
- Data workflow monitoring and alerting.
- Performance testing for data systems.
- Python tooling for data automation.
- Cross-functional data integration projects.
What we offer
Our budget for this role is £85,000 - £95,000 and we will take into account any previous experience and location of work when agreeing on the final offer.
We offer all our employees stock options and we will pay into your pension monthly. We've also built a benefits package that invests in our people’s long-term personal and professional growth and wellbeing. Here’s a sample of what this includes:
- 30 days of holiday annually in addition to bank holidays
- Private healthcare scheme for you and your family
- Life Insurance
- Up to 13 weeks of parental leave at full pay, regardless of your gender
- Flexible working hours
- Annual personal training allowance and regular learning opportunities
- Monthly flexible wellbeing allowance to help you stay healthy and productive
- Access to Employee Assistance Program
It goes without saying that we provide everyone with a laptop, monitor, top of the range kit, and any software you need.
INSHUR is the fastest-growing global provider of insurance for the on-demand economy, making coverage fair and accessible for drivers.
Cutting edge technology underpins our revolutionary offering for on demand drivers, keeping premiums affordable and delivering results for partners. With a focus on embedded insurance solutions, and complementary technology integrations for digital platform providers such as Uber and Amazon, we’ve been helping drivers stay on the road since 2016 through our data, technology and in-house expertise.
We completed our B1 funding as well as the acquisition of American Business Insurance in 2023. We have exciting plans to continue growing our portfolio and product lines and expand to new territories in the future.
As a global team of around 200 people based across the US, UK and the Netherlands, we value:
- Generosity, inclusivity, open-mindedness and diversity
- The delivery of great results and learning in the open
- Freedom to make long-term, high-impact decisions
- The wellbeing of our teammates and the people around us
And… Enjoying the ride!
We believe that having a diverse team where everyone can be their authentic self is the key to our success. We are passionate about equal opportunities and improving the tech industry for the better, so we encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply. We don't discriminate based on race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, marital status, disability or age. Our offices, when open, are child-friendly, dog-friendly and fully wheelchair-accessible.
While this position is advertised as full-time, we are flexible on the specific arrangements for the right candidate and would be happy to discuss part-time, job-share or other flexible arrangements, if required. Let us know in your application if you have accessibility requirements for your interview and we will do our best to accommodate.